Associate Director, Playspace Innovation, Design and Construction (Sacramento, CA) Remote
About KABOOM!: KABOOM! is the national nonprofit committed to ensuring that every kid, in every community, has an amazing place to play. Our mission is to end playspace inequity - the reality that playspaces are not available to every child, especially in communities of color. We unite with communities to build kid-designed playspaces that can spark joy and foster a sense of belonging for the kids who are often denied opportunities to thrive.
Position Summary: The Programs Department is looking for a senior member to join the team to support the design development and lead the direct execution of KABOOM! projects, including our community-build projects that culminate in a transformative, volunteer experience that brings community together to create positive change for kids. This individual will lead large scale and highly custom playground projects and the installation of unique playspace solutions in public spaces. This individual applies knowledge of the playground industry and technical expertise related to playspace design and construction to expand our portfolio of playspace building. This person will play a leadership role within the Programs Department supporting key bodies of work within the Community Build Management team such as, vendor management, training, hiring and goal setting. This position will work within a cross-functional team and report to the Director of Programs. This is a remote position and the ideal candidate will reside in the Ft. Worth/Dallas, Texas area.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide counsel to internal regional team and external parties regarding site logistics, infrastructure considerations while developing project budgets for all construction and site-related project elements with the goal of playspace transformation.
- Works directly Finance, VP of Programs and Partnership Development teams to create budgets for large scale and complex programs/projects, including materials, staff time and other direct costs.
- Identify, evaluate, screen, recommend and select project managers, including landscape architects, architects, designers, general contracts and installers, and manufacturers best suited to partnership and project goals.
- Work with vendors to order all materials, confirm designs, and schedule deliveries.
- Develop and document installation plan by coordinating with the installation supervisor, community partner logistics contact, and other key project partners
- Support community partner and Construction Engagement Manager (CEM) to finalize playspace design and site amenities to create a holistic (comprehensive) site design, based on community culture, community needs, available space and project scope
- Participate in planning calls to support construction and logistics elements of a project
- Lead calls to ensure partners are prepared and build week execution plan and supporting documents are in place
Project and Program Management
- Manage highly-complex and innovative play space projects, often including numerous infrastructure elements with new vendors and partners.
- Manage volunteers, across multiple consecutive days, through various construction tasks in preparation for an organized, safe and logistical smooth Build Day
- Lead a highly organized, well-run, engaging and fun Build Week for all volunteers and partners
- Manage all construction elements of a project including but not limited to: taking inventory of materials, managing project budget, communicating with contractors, coordinating delivery timelines and problem solving on-site
- Work with the CEM to complete post-build file documentation
- Support the community partner and CEM in developing post-build programming and long-term site maintenance
- Conduct on the ground playspace assessments, observing and documenting the condition of existing playground infrastructure and the number and activities of playground users
- Develop and maintain relationship with facilities leads within municipal entities and child-serving nonprofits with the goal of defining workable ways to implement successful projects
- Train, mentor and coach Community Build Managers. Increase the proficiency of project managers on the design, planning and implementation of complex projects.
- As-needed support to the Programs team including but not limited to managing vendor relations, developing and refining policies and procedures, maintaining project management supplies, facilitating team training and other work to meet team needs
- Support hiring within the Community Build Manager team including conducting interviews and supporting on-site observation of candidates
Education and Experience Required:
- Minimum of five years in Design, Construction and/or Project Management Experience, ideally in playground design and installation and/or in field of parks and recreation
- Proficient with construction drawings, schematic, etc. Experience with AutoCAD to design construction projects and details a plus
- Facilitation of a participatory design process to redo a space to meet the needs of a particular community through listening to, uplifting, and guiding community voices
- Volunteer management and or event management
- Thinking creatively and proactively to solve for challenges and achieve outcomes
- Navigating and leading others through ambiguity, changing timelines or circumstances
- Managing multiple projects at once while also traveling a significant amount of time with the ability to work from the road
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with strong attention to detail
Individual has the ability and willingness to build relationships across differences and discuss issues of structural and institutional racism.
Essential Job Functions:
Ability to maintain acceptable standards of conduct and work cooperatively as an effective team member of a diverse and inclusive workforce. Communicates with others, sits or moves about the office to coordinate work and uses a computer as well as other office equipment as needed. In addition, must be able to travel independently, leading events with extended hours of moving about in various weather conditions and in some circumstances, able to lift or move objects unassisted up to 30 pounds with the ability to operate basic hand tools.
Note: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. COVID-19 vaccination required.
This job description does not constitute an employee agreement between the employer and the employee; this description is subject to change by the employer as the needs and requirements of the position change.